Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Spin, spin, spin


BEGIN RANT

I didn't think that it was possible for an entire lab section to do an experiment wrong. Leave it to the engineers to go ahead and take education to a new low. I'm not sure what they teach in high school these days but apparently it has nothing to do with learning and all to do with ignorance. Read the damn lab manual people.

END RANT




Here's a haiku that I wrote last year while teaching Phys 119 to an entire section of engineers:

Why can't they get it?
Two resistors in series

And yet they still fail.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol, sounds like us engeineers, representing. Who needs resistors in series when you have nice cold beer waiting for you at home.


-Evan

Anonymous said...

And yes i can spell engineers correctly...


-Evan

Anonymous said...

Hey, are you teaching the PHYS 201 lab? I have some friends in that class, Paul and Bernil. They said they were having some trouble. ;)

-rt

Blair said...

Nope, only teaching 109. I've also heard that the 201 students are having "some trouble"....

Kris said...

Hey now, me and evan must be the cream of the crop because we got through PHYS 119 and 201!

And yes, we are idiots, but at least we can drink!

Anonymous said...

Blair got his rant so now I get mine, on behalf of all engineers who (despite the overwhelming numbers on the other side) are intelligent and work hard and take their occupation seriously:

It's true that there are many subpar engineering students. Perhaps the education system doesn't expect enough of them. Perhaps they don't expect enough of themselves.

I'm getting tired of being painted with the same brush as these individuals. I really don't care if people respect the fact that I have an engineering degree. Compared to other degrees you can get, this one doesn't deserve nearly the same accolades; I'm convinced that pretty well anybody could get one.

But please, please, recognize that there are some intelligent ones in the bunch because I'm tired of being labelled as an idiot.

Thank you!
Sincerely,
Angie

Blair said...

Ya, ya, ya. We all know that there are good engineers, however they aren't the ones who keep me an hour and a half past the end of the lab because they can't read. Thus, my rant does not apply to them. You and I both know that the good ones are few and far between.