Friday, May 18, 2007

The Future is Now

I think the blades are just there for show.



I know the real reason they aren't moving in the video, do you?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

No i don't know why, can you tell me?



Evan

Kris said...

I would also like to know

Anonymous said...

Is it possible that the camera taking the video is recording at the same amount of frames per second as the helicopter blades are rotating in rotations per second? Meaning that the blades are actually rotating but it doesn't look like it because the camera always captures them in the same position.

-Angie

Blair said...

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't there be even a slight amount of variation? Video capturing fps is pretty set, but you'd think a maneuvering helicopter would vary in rotor speed. Also, no motion blur?

~Barrett

Blair said...

Well, you can see that the rotor is rotating relative to the helicopter, so the fps is not exactly matched to the rpm.

Also, wouldn't rotations be caused by the rotor on the fin? If you watch at :06, you can see it speed up drastically just as the helicopter starts to turn.

Otherwise, *shrug*

Unknown said...

Yes, rotation (or yaw, to be aeronautically correct) is controlled by the rear rotors. First viewing looked like it was maneuvering vertically as well, but watching a couple more times looked like it was just moving above the camera, so height would be the same.
Must just be a really high ISO setting on the camera to capture without any blur.

rt said...

I'm not convinced. It would have to be a really high-speed camera. I've seen the speed-sync effect with a regular camera, and the blades appear stationary but they are extremely blurred.

Another possibility is that it is expelling jet exhaust downwards, like a Harrier.

-rt

rt said...

Actually no, I think the frame-sync hypothesis is correct because:
-The tail rotor appears to be rotating pretty slowly. More importantly, you can see it distinctly and it isn't blurred at all, so it must be a very high-speed camera.
-The main rotor blades are slightly curved upwards, due to the force they are exerting on the air, producing lift. When a helicopter is on the ground and its blades are stationary, you can see that the blades droop downwards.

-rt