Monday, July 23, 2007

Heil, mein Führer!

I'm not sure how much of this article is a nutty conspiracy theory. I know that I've read lots of articles recently from reputable media sources (well...reputable in the context of the media) about many of these acts and bills that President Bush has been signing, slowly putting his administration above the law and making it easier for him to arrest people who are against him (Well, he disguises it by saying "against America", but...it's Bush's America at this point).

The stuff about the "shadow government" set up by Bush seems to be correct, according to an article by CBS News, and in 2006 the "Insurrection Act" (deals with the ability of the President to deploy troops in America) was amended to extend his ability to situations where he determines it necessary. Additionally, the Patriot Act has given the government the ability to overrule a whole bunch of rights and freedoms of citizens, and if you arbitrarily become labeled as an "enemy combatant," you forfeit your right to Habeas Corpus (basically, your right to not be held without charge).

There's a lot of political stuff going on in the States right now and a lot of public outcry for an impeachment. Even Bush's own party is starting to distance itself from him. I don't know how this will all unfold, but hopefully it's nowhere near as drastic as that first article would have you believe.

No comments: